Friday, August 19, 2011

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Unit

A happy heart makes the face cheerful. Proverbs 15:13

I'm thrilled that our first few days of homeschooling are going so well. Yes, I'm staying up way too late making sure everything is ready for the following day (typical type A personality here) and it's a little hard getting up in the morning to jump into a day, overflowing with learning activities. However, when I grab my large cup of coffee and head out to the schoolroom and see the cutest, sweetest little face looking up at me...my happy heart makes my face cheerful!

This is where I find her every morning, anticipating the start of our day! She is so excited to learn new things and has been so cooperative...I'm praying that her love of learning will continue to grow.

Instead of jumping into a full day of schooling, I decided to ease our family into our new schedule. We had a very simple first day of school, which you can read about here. The first unit has been activities related to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, one of Izzie's favorite books!

After calendar time, we read our story of the day, which has been Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, then the girls do a book related activity together. Here they are listening to the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom song (best little gadget, ever!), while coloring.

Over the last few days, Izzie has been busy doing her phonics and math activities.

**Earlier posts detail each activity.**

In addition, she completed several art projects!

Chicka tree alphabet sticker fun!

The famous handprint Chicka tree! Here's her previous one, when she was only a tot!

Alphabet stamps from Target's dollar aisle and Melissa and Doug stamp pad complete the artwork.


She has spent time practicing her handwriting.

Kumon dry-erase letters with Crayola dry-erase crayons. The Crayola crayons have been the best purchased school item, ever! They work wonderfully on these cards and page protectors!

And working every alphabet puzzle in the house!

This one was found at Target this summer in the dollar aisle.


A little Chicka tree snack made from bananas, peanut butter, and apples!

Izzie was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to find the Sesame Street alphabet cookies to go on top of the peanut butter. I can't believe that she remembered the cookies from last time !


The girls loved watching this Chicka Chicka Boom Boom video, over and over again!


Finally, there was a lot of playing outside!


So, we survived our first few days of homeschooling! I'm feeling much more confident that I can actually do this! Looking forward to many more school days and a lot more sleep!





Skip over to Homeschool Creations and/or Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see more!





2 comments:

  1. Great activities! I LOVE the edible trees. So cute! Happy Homeschooling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! We're doing Chicka Chicka Boom Boom next week. It's not only one of my kid's favorites, but I love this book too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...